Earth Sanctuary Retreat Center Details
What is provided at the Earth Sanctuary Center?
- Two retreat bedrooms, each with twin beds. The beds come with clean linen, down comforter and pillow.
- A combination meditation/living room with sofa and easy chair, wood stove, bookcase. There are nine zafus with zabutons. There are also 10 chairs.
- Fully-equipped kitchen with eating utensils and dining area.
- Washer and dryer.
- Bathroom with clean towels and washcloths.
- Large closet and storage area that may also be used as an additional “primitive” sleeping area.
- There is no phone. Pay phones are available in Freeland. Some cell phones work well, i.e., Verizon, T-Mobile and others.
- Center heating is by electric heat supplemented by wood stove. Note: to keep costs down, the Center may be cold when you arrive. The Center will warm quite quickly once you turn up the heat.
Rules for Earth Sanctuary Property
- For the safety of visitors and the protection of all living beings, the following rules must be followed while on Earth Sanctuary property, including the Earth Sanctuary Retreat Center.
- If you move any furniture in the retreat Center, you are responsible for moving it back to its original position. No moving of objects on the Earth Sanctuary grounds.
- Please treat the retreat Center and grounds with care and respect. Return the retreat Center to the condition in which you found it or better. Helping to clean the retreat Center is good karma!
- Abstain from killing any being or animal.
- No canoeing or swimming is allowed in any of the ponds. No one is allowed on the bog island for any reason.
- Hiking is permitted only on cleared trails.
- Be sensitive to birds and wildlife. Do not disturb any animals or birds, especially in nesting and breeding season.
- Remain outside of marked ecologically sensitive areas.
- Abstain from stealing, sexual activity, and from telling lies.
- No illegal drugs, intoxicants, or firearms are permitted. Alcohol is permitted only in the context of certain spiritual ceremonies.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco is not permitted anywhere on Earth Sanctuary property except in the context of Native American ceremonies.
- No moving of objects in the building or on the grounds.
- Park in designated areas only.
- Please treat the grounds, building and residents with care and respect. Return your area to the condition in which you found it or better.
What should be brought to the Earth Sanctuary Center?
- All visitors to the Earth Sanctuary Center are responsible for picking up and cleaning the Center after they are done, including washing the bedding that you use.
- All materials for your spiritual practice.
- Proper clothing, bathrobe, slippers, toiletries, clock.
- Hiking shoes and appropriate outdoor clothing for the season, if you choose to walk the property.
- Bring enough food for your stay (all food and drink must be kept in the kitchen area). Two supermarkets are located nearby.
Note: you are responsible for preparing your own meals.
Rules for Retreat Practice at the Earth Sanctuary
- This is a spiritual Center, not a motel or a romantic get-away. Please be considerate of the spiritual nature of this special Center.
- Candles and incense are allowed in the main meditation room only; candles and incense should not be left unattended. Only votive-type candles should be used, tapered candles are not allowed.
- In order to minimize distraction by others, dress appropriately: simple, modest, and comfortable. Tight, transparent, revealing, or otherwise striking clothing (such as short shorts, tights and leggings, sleeveless or skimpy tops) should not be worn. Sunbathing and nudity are not permitted. An attitude of modesty prevails at all times.
Note: violating any of the rules is reason for retreat termination.
- People with serious mental disorders should not come with the expectation that retreat will cure or alleviate their mental problems.
- People with unstable interpersonal relationships and a history of various treatments should not come. It is impossible for us to care for such people with these backgrounds.
- Retreat is not a substitute for medical or psychiatric treatment and is not recommended for people with serious psychiatric disorders
- The Earth Sanctuary LLC is not liable for any personal injuries, for any reason, that may be sustained during stay at Earth Sanctuary.